Morning Report: Homebuilders report strong order growth 7/26/17

Vital Statistics:

Last Change
S&P Futures 2479.0 5.0
Eurostoxx Index 382.4 1.6
Oil (WTI) 48.4 0.5
US dollar index 86.7 0.0
10 Year Govt Bond Yield 2.32%
Current Coupon Fannie Mae TBA 102.93
Current Coupon Ginnie Mae TBA 103.81
30 Year Fixed Rate Mortgage 3.95

Stocks are higher this morning as oil rallies. Bonds and MBS are flat.

The FOMC decision is due out at 2:00 pm EST. Be careful locking loans around that time. No change in interest rates is expected, however the language in the statement always has the potential to move markets. You are starting to see some movement in the Dec Fed Funds futures, with the market currently handicapping a 48% chance of no change, 47% of 25 bps and a 5% chance of 50 bps between now and then. Sep futures are stuck at 92% chance of no change and an 8% chance of a 25 basis point hike.

Mortgage applications rose 0.4% last week as purchases fell 2% and refis increased 3%. Mortgage rates in general fell about 5 basis points during the week. ARM share increased to 6.8%.

Despite all the consternation in DC, consumer confidence continues to rise. The Consumer Confidence index rose to 121, largely on the strength of the jobs market. The number of people who think jobs are “hard to get” fell to 18%, while those that think jobs are “plentiful” rose to 34%.

New Home Sales ticked up to 610k in June, which is up 9% on a YOY basis.

Homebuilder Pulte reported earnings yesterday. Orders were up 12%, and backlog was up 19%. They did warn on gross margins, as wildfires in Canada are pushing up framing lumber prices. Pulte has a national footprint, but it is big in the Midwest, which shows that things are picking up in that part of the country.

D.R. Horton reported earnings as well. Orders increased 13% and backlog increased 5%. Tight labor markets are affecting margins. D.R. Horton is more exposed to the South and Southwest, and therefore will be more sensitive to what is going on in the oil patch.

Since the election, the XHB (S&P Homebuilder ETF) has been on a tear, increasing 23% since the election.

The House is expected to use the Congressional Review Act to overturn the CFPB’s recent rule on mandatory arbitration. It is expected to fall 100% on partisan lines. In the Senate, all Democrats are expected to vote against overturning it, and there are a few Republicans who are undecided.

Interesting stat on GNMA servicing portfolios since 2014. Down 25% at major banks, up 15% at smaller banks, doubled at non-banks. GNMA servicing rights have been weighed down by the costs of FHA delinquencies as well as higher than expected prepayment speeds due to the VA IRRL program. The government recently changed the rules for quick IRRL refis, but servicing values have yet to rebound.

4 Responses

  1. I guess Trump just granted Corporate Klinger his wish…

    Like

  2. Not sure I buy this from KDW, I think it’s the inevitable result of the accumulation of power in the Federal Government. The stakes are too high.

    http://bit.ly/2uYLrnH

    Like

Be kind, show respect, and all will be right with the world.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: